Retired Secret Service Agent Clint Hill has written another book about his service, detailing a career spent serving five Presidents. Hill was made famous by his role in the tragic assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, seen jumping onto the back of the Presidential limo after the fatal shot had hit. Agent Hill was actually on the Secret Service detail protecting the First Lady that day, not on the Presidential Protection detail. That was a day that stayed with Hill forever, which he talked about in great detail in the book.
Hill’s tenure covered Ike, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and finally Ford. He handles the assessments of each honestly, showing us some of the warts, as well as the strengths, of each, in a non-partisan way. As someone who has read all the Caro books on LBJ Agent Hill’s descriptions of Johnson rang true. While this book will not shed new historical light it was an interesting take on each of the five Presidents. Hill, who has an active Twitter account @clinthill_ss gives a nice overview of the challenges that come from being in the Secret Service, and how the organization has evolved from his early days.
Agent Hill has put together a fine book that is an interesting and easy read. I know we are a bit early calendar wise but it would make a great summer read for folks putting together that list early.
- My Tweets
- A Look at “Tip O’Neill and the Democratic Century” by John Farrell.
- Seabrook Reaches Tax Agreement With NextEra on Seabrook Station
- No Sure Things in 2020. (Or Go Mid-West Young Man)
- Seabrook Goes Paperless for Board of Selectmen Meetings
- A look at “The End of the Party: The Rise and Fall of New Labour” by Andrew Rawnsley
- Happy Birthday Eric Clapton
- The Seabrook CIP Seven Year Spending Review
- The FY 2019 Warrant Articles Tax Impacts
- The Grand Opening of “The Greyhound Casino & Tavern” in Seabrook
- Argo Rescue Vehicle Arrives in Seabrook
- Capital Improvement Plan
- Casino Gaming
- Education Reform
- Electoral Map
- Fifth Congressional
- Health Care Reform
- Manzi in the Morning
- Merrimack Valley Politics
- Methuen City Council
- Methuen Mayor's Race
- Municipal Finance
- National News
- Song of the Week
- State News
- Technology Beat
- Transportation Finance
- U.S. Senate Race
- WCAP Podcast