Let Them Eat Cake!

With the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in a financial free fall and cities and towns in Massachusetts laying off police and fire and teachers it was announced yesterday that Governor Patrick had appointed Senator Marion Walsh to a $175,000 job that had been vacant for twelve years. With all due respect to the Governor I cannot see how that is saleable when you are demanding that other levels of government make sacrifice that includes laying off essential public safety and educational personnel. As a political matter every time the administration looks for revenue enhancements (including hiking the gas tax) things like this will be whipped into their face. And for those who wish to discuss transportation and are trying to discern the real meaning of “reform before revenue” and mock it as a “meaningless slogan” this should act as a cold slap in the face. The public does not care that this appointment will not be funded in a transportation portfolio. They care that people are being asked to pay more, but government just seems to keep going with business as usual. The Massachusetts Liberal blog has a post that sums it up quite well. That blog speculates that Treasurer Tim must be “chortling”. I agree.

This entry was posted in State News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Let Them Eat Cake!

I must confess, I chortled too.

The “yes we can” governor fills an six figure public position that has been empty for 12 years at a time when we must all be frugal.

Here’s the rub; he doesn’t care what’s said. He knew that the assignment would be inappropriate. If he didn’t then he’s as dumb as his buddy in the White House, “the days of earmarks are over, Obama”.

All this is no surprise to me. Cynicism gives way to reality.

Another day in the neighborhood.

The Governor must have aspirations of higher office: he must no longer care about the financial situation we face.

I hope that’s true, anyway, because he’s lost my vote.

Are you going to vote Republican?

Probably not with what’s left in this lifetime, no. Not unless your party moves towards something resembling rational behavior.

If there’s a primary fight, I’ll vote the other candidate. If Patrick wins the primary, I’ll write in Jules Gordon.

RED<

I’m honored. Would you like a job in my administration?

Actually, Fred, rational behavior is a relative term depending where you are standing.

Now, I figure you and I are far over the horizon from each other. You probably view me as a Fascist dog, while I see you as a communist lackey.

In that arrangement where is rational?

This ‘socialist’ agrees with your opening comment 100%. That’s not a bad thing, is it?

Now, now, Jules: let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I may view your party apparatus as Fascist Dogs, hardly the staunch defenders of democracy (after the last 8 years, that’s the very definition of irony), but you’re one only to the extent that you drool on command. That’s an individual choice.

But what happened, “socialist” doesn’t work anymore, now we’re “communists”? Still searching for the magic words? They’re not going to get you elected, you know. You’re endangering your standing among your electorate (even if it’s an electorate of one).

On second thought, maybe we should concentrate on areas we have in common, like our mutual and total admiration for Rush.

And, of course I’ll work for you, but I want more than 175K. Call it hazard pay.

Don’t forget the great retirement package.

I shall require you to show up once every two weeks.

That often? Ahhh, alright. Would it be OK if I took another job too, just to pad my pension, I mean, because I want to hold down two full time jobs?

No problem. Just don’t use the official work day every two weeks.

Jules.