Education Dollars to Methuen

Governor Patrick’s education announcement. Methuen will receive $1.8 million in education funding from this federal grant.

NEW BEDFORD – Wednesday, August 25, 2010 – Governor Deval Patrick today allocated $204 million from the federal Education Jobs Fund to school districts across the Commonwealth, bringing state support for public schools to its highest level in history. A combination of state and federal dollars totaling $4.07 billion will ensure all school districts receive more state aid – at least $25 per student – than they did last year. The new funding, which follows yesterday’s announcement that Massachusetts secured $250 million in federal Race to the Top dollars, will support an estimated 2,700 teaching positions.
“Great schools are the key to our future, and great teachers are the key to great schools,” said Governor Patrick. “With this significant infusion of funds, we are building a better, stronger future for our kids, our communities and our Commonwealth.”
“Governor Patrick and I have consistently said education is a priority of our administration, and today we continue to put those words into action,” said Lieutenant Governor Timothy Murray. “The Education Jobs bill will save jobs and restore funds to help our students have every opportunity to learn and thrive.”
On Tuesday, August 10th, President Obama signed the Education Jobs Fund into law, providing $26 billion nationwide to preserve jobs for teachers and other school-based employees. The Commonwealth’s $204 million appropriation will be directly distributed to school districts through the state’s education funding formula and combined with state and federal funds to ensure that every school district across the state meets its foundation level budget for the 2010-2011 school year. With this new infusion of federal funding, the Governor is able to fully fund Chapter 70 without the need to use about $60 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds available for general government purposes.
Governor Patrick made the announcement at Normandin Middle School in New Bedford where the school district will utilize the new state and federal funding to support 82 teaching positions. New Bedford will receive a total of more than $113 million in combined Chapter 70 and federal funding this academic year, including more than $6 million from the Education Jobs Fund. For a complete list funding awards under today’s announcement click here.
“This funding provides a critical boost to local officials and school departments who have had to make very difficult budget decisions during the economic crisis,” said Congressman William Delahunt. “It not only helps to ensure that our students are given the best education possible but will also help the economy by throwing a fiscal lifeline to states and local communities.”
“These federal funds will provide a boost to Fifth District cities and towns by helping to keep teachers in our classrooms, jobs in our communities, and maintain the level of excellence in education for our students during this difficult economic time,” said Congresswoman Nikki Tsongas.
“This funding is absolutely critical to avoid teacher layoffs in Massachusetts and will preserve core programs,” said Congressman Stephen F. Lynch. “I am pleased to see that we are making this commitment to support our superintendents, administrators, teachers and staff as we start the new school year.”
“We have made every effort to minimize the impact of the global economic meltdown on our schools,” said Education Secretary Paul Reville. “By utilizing a combination of state and federal funds, the Governor here again is making decision based on his values and maintaining his commitment to providing strong support for public education.”
“Students cannot be successful without a well trained and fully supported teacher at the head of the classroom,” said Elementary and Secondary Education Commissioner Mitchell Chester. “These funds will help to counter the fiscal downturn that our districts are experiencing.”
Governor Patrick strongly advocated to ensure that ARRA included funding to mitigate state reductions in education funding driven by the recession. As a result, Massachusetts received $2 billion in federal recovery funds dedicated solely to pre-K-12 and higher education. The Governor has directed more than $600 million in federal recovery dollars to school districts over the past two years in order to shore up school budgets during the global economic crisis.
Additionally, this year the state will commit nearly $3.85 billion in Chapter 70 education funds to cities and towns. By combining these state dollars with $204 million in Education Jobs Funds and $20.7 million in existing ARRA funds, Governor Patrick has ensured that the state will meet its commitment to helping every school district reach foundation level spending targets in Fiscal Year 2011.
Yesterday, Governor Patrick and members of the congressional delegation announced that Massachusetts received $250 million from the federal Race to the Top program. The funds will be used to implement landmark education reforms, including providing new and more immediate opportunities to turn around underperforming schools and close achievement gaps, expand access to successful charter schools and authorize new Innovation Schools to provide greater choice for students and their families.

Governor Patrick Education

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Education Dollars to Methuen

  1. Jules Gordon says:

    Your Honor,
    Well you sold out kids to the federal Government for cash.

    And you say you are not an ideologue.

    Education will suffer in Methuen for borrowed change. What do you do next year?

    Charlie Baker said he would undo this fiasco if he wins the Governor’s office. Hope he does.

    Did you take any history in school?

    Jules

    Like

  2. Bill Manzi says:

    Jules,

    I am not at all ideological on the idea of taking federal money in the amount of $1.8 million for the educational system in Methuen. That money has been approved of by Congress, paid for, and approved by the Governor for distribution to the localities. Why would I turn it down? I do believe that you are confusing this money with the other educational pot of money from the so called “Race to the Top” funding that Massachusetts recently won a piece of. That “Race to the Top” required the curriculum change to the federal standard that has stirred some controversy. On that score you need not have any fear. Methuen is not eligible for any “Race to the Top” funds because the local Teachers Union refused to sign our application. So on that score you stand in solidarity with your friends in that union.

    Bill

    Like

  3. Jules Gordon says:

    Your Honor,
    Thank you for straightening that out. But, by your own admission you would had taken the Federal Program had the union not refused to sign on.

    So your are as willing to make our kids subject to a life of Federal Bureaucratic dominance if given a chance. Where has that ever been successful?

    Not much difference from my previous post.

    Jules

    Like

  4. Bill Manzi says:

    Jules,

    Yes I would have taken the money. But the determination on adoption of the federal standards is made at the state level, not the local level. The “Race to the Top” money would have given the locals greater management flexibility over schools that were not meeting the “no child left behind” standards.

    So if I understand your position it is against the change accepted by the Governor to the state curriculum, which was done in part to make us eligible for the “Race to the Top” money. But I don’t think you would be against greater management authority for superintendents in failing schools. That greater management authority is opposed by teacher unions for all the typical reasons. To summarize:

    1) The Governor changes to federal “curriculum standards”, which you oppose.

    2) Local Mayors and Superintendents are stuck with the curriculum changes regardless of whether we take the money.

    3) Local Mayors and Superintendents are striving to meet the mandates of the federal “No Child Left Behind Act”, signed into law by President Bush after being written by Ted Kennedy.

    4)The “Race to the Top” money would have helped the locals meet those severe challenges, with the changes you oppose already enacted at the state level.

    5) And you think I should have turned it down if available?

    I am a manager, not an ideologue. I would have taken the money, and I would have been delighted with more executive authority over “failing” schools.

    Bill

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s